Metamarkets — San Francisco, CA May 2013-Present
- Designed and built the druid admin console.
- Developed product metrics based on user activity.
- Instrumented the Metamarkets web application to track user actions.
- Built internal web interfaces for Metamarkets’ ingestion system.
- Developed a system to attribute operational costs on a per-customer basis, which enabled per-customer margin analysis.
Principal Data Scientist, Utility Cloud Analytics
DataRaker — San Francisco, CA June 2011-January 2013
- Designed and built an interactive html5 web app that enables our analysts to quickly visualize, trace, and debug our core analytical processes.
- Developed, deployed, and validated new analytical approaches to the high-resolution smart meter data that forms the core of our business.
- Designed and built an internal web app to generate, run, and display reports written in R for the analytics team.
DataRaker — San Francisco, CA June 2010-June 2011
User Experience Product Manager
- Redesigned the primary user interface to our energy usage data.
- Developed specifications for the new interface based on customer requirements and technology constraints.
- Managed the implementation of the redesign, including technology choices, daily developer management, and acceptance testing.
- Trained our customers and internal users on the new interface.
EnerNOC — San Francisco, CA August 2008-June 2010
- Built an internal web application that gave my team access to all building management data in an integrated display.
- Discovered energy-savings opportunities for our customers by analyzing data from building automation systems.
- Designed information graphics to help our customers prioritize their energy efficiency measures, and to quantify their energy savings.
- Demonstrated quantiﬁable environmental beneﬁts of proposed offshore wind turbine installation for town of Hull, MA.
- Computed the potential avoided emissions of the turbines based on the temporal correlation of wind resource and hourly unit-level marginal fossil emissions across the New England ISO.
- Designed information graphics to communicate our ﬁndings to policymakers and the general public.
Developer, Extracurricular Project
- Built the MIT Energy Map, an interactive visualization of the past six years of MIT’s energy use.
- Initiated ongoing effort to gain access to MIT Facilities’ live metering data.
- Designed and implemented CleanGredients online directory of the environmental impacts of cleaning product ingredients.
- Enabled cleaning product formulators to choose chemical ingredients based on the ingredients’ environmental impacts along with their functional characteristics.
- Incorporated needs and concerns of industry stakeholders and the EPA into the web application.
Harvard University — Cambridge, MA 2003-2004
- Provided mechanical design support to the group’s scientists in their work studying the chemistry of the atmosphere.
- Redesigned aircraft based H2O isotope measurement instrument.
- Designed, maintained and reassembled existing instruments and laboratory test apparatus.
Skylist — Austin, TX 2000-2003
- Developed in-house ticketing system to track customer contacts.
- Administered 250+ Linux, NT, and Mac servers.
- Developed control software for serpentine robot systems.
- Thesis: The Environmental Beneﬁts of Wind Generation — Challenges in the data and computation of avoided emissions associated with renewable electricity generation.
- Thesis: Values and Data in a Boundary Object — The treatment of risk assessments and chemical hazard data in the CleanGredients database.
- Undergraduate research: control and design of serpentine robots.
- Machine tool operation, woodworking, electronic assembly and testing, fiber-matrix composite fabrication.
Activities & Interests
- MIT Generator, MIT Energy Club
- Building a better world through green design, information visualization, and engineering for sustainability.
- Riding and working on my bicycles; taking pictures; and learning.
- Technology as a tool for knowing our world more completely.